Monday, February 22, 2010

TONSILS OUCH

So I am getting my tonsils out in the morning. I am being a grown up about it too. Calling a cab at 5:30am to take me to the hospital, all by myself. No one to hold my hand or rub my back. Just me and the poor nurses who are forced to work at such an early hour of the morning.

Then I am going to sit around until they decide it is time to drug me up and knock me out for a short snip snip of the tonsils. My doc told me I could look forward to a morphine drip when I wake up. That only made me feel more nervous.

Actually, this is the first time I have had a body part removed (other then my wisdom teeth, but I never got to know them). Never to be a part of me again. I know its not like I am losing a hand, arm, leg or foot. But I have known my tonsils in a way most people never get to know their tonsils. They have been sore, and yucky for as long as I can remember. I can tell when they are getting infected and know the process it takes to make them feel better like the back of my hand. Details of which I don't think you really want to know, but it involves hot salty water and puss.

I think I am a purest of a certain kind. I never wanted my body altered by way of piercings or tattoos. Even my ear lobs are the same as the day I was born. My mother has been asking me to get the gap in my front teeth fixed for years (and my husband agrees) but that gap is a part of me just like my nose is. So thinking about getting my old enemies (my tonsils) out makes me well.... kind of uneasy, and strangely a little sad. I know, I am happy to be done with all the pain and bother. But still... its a part of me.

Well I better pack my overnight bag and get my papers in order. I am off on an adventure tomorrow. And in a few hours I will know what its like to live tonsil free! Here I go.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Mary! I hope all goes well with the surgery. My thought are definitely with you today!

    ReplyDelete