Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Sunday at the Dog Beach





This Sunday Graham and I got up early and headed out to the beach. Being new to Perth we where not sure what beach to go to, so we just drove over to the coast a little north of Fremantle and kept on driving until we found a parking spot along the beach road. It was a hot day so many people had the same idea as us and it took awhile to find a place to park the car we had borrowed.


Upon arriving at the beach we noticed right away that something was different. there where about 200 hundred people at the beach and 3 times as many dogs. I mean for everyone one person on the beach (and it was busy) there was three dogs. I could not believe it. Dogs of every kind, all running free without leaches. Graham and I dropped our towels and headed for the water, it was cool and refreshing. We then spent the morning watching the nearly 600 dogs play, swim, fight, and chase each other. Many dogs where in the water with their owners, swimming along side, leaping over breaking waves. Some dogs completely ignoring their owners and running free like bandits on the sand, swimming with whom ever they choose. I have never seen so many dogs in one place in all my life, it was truly a site to see.


After a long swim Graham and I went for a walk down the beach, but where constantly being cut off by running dogs, or roaming dogs looking for some attention. It made for an interesting beach stroll. We watched in a kind of awe-horror as we saw dog after dog peeing of the same beach towels over and over again. That would be a big surprise after a swim in the ocean, nothing like a pee soaked towel to dry one's self off on. After seeing this we hurried back to our awaiting towels happy to find they where doggy pee free. Although we could not be sure of this as it was a hot day.


I did not have a camera with me on our beach outing but I wish I had (the pics above I found online). It was a beautiful beach, and it made me glad to know there was somewhere for dogs to play in the sand. But I am glad most beaches are off limits to our doggy friends. All the doggy pee and poo was a little off putting. Most owners picked up their pets "droppings"but sadly some did not. I don't know about you, but seeing a gigantic doggy poo floating in the water near where children are playing is a little upsetting. Even more upsetting is noticing that no one around really cares.
But despite all this it was a fantastic outing to the beach. These dogs really knew how to have fun. Graham and I headed home with a big smile, but decided next time we would go to a different beach, one with fewer K9 swimming companions. But next time we are there I will take my camera I promise!




No comments:

Post a Comment