Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The fair foods of my life!

Recently I went home to Indiana to visit my parents and friends. I like to plan my trips around the Indiana State Fair mainly due to my love of fair foods. So I thought I would write a blog honoring the fair foods of my life. 


Growing up I got to attend two different state fairs. First the Indiana State Fair,


 and then later the Western Idaho State Fair. 


Mainly these two fairs had the same foods. But Idaho had one food delight that the Indiana State Fair did not. That was the Ice Cream Potato.




I first had the Ice Cream Potato when I was 10 years old. It is vanilla ice cream rolled into a potato shape and then frozen as hard as a real potato. Then it is rolled in coco for that dirt color, topped with whipped cream, crushed cookies, nuts, and chocolate sauce.  I remember standing in line with my Mom and girlfriends for this fair treat and then fighting to get that first bite on to my plastic spoon as the ice cream was frozen solid. This is one fair food you can not miss, and the great thing about it, its an Idaho original. 


Most of my best fair food memories come from the Indiana State Fair where the line of food vendors stretches over 1 kilometer. There is everything on offer at the Indiana State Fair. These are just some of my long time favorites.


The Lemon Shake Up
You will find this sugary drink at most fairs in the US. Its a mixture of lemon juice and sugar syrup mixed together vigorously. Its tangy and sweet and leaves a little tingle on your tongue, not sure what they put in it for that effect but its unique. This is not a carbonated drink but still give you that refreshing feeling that a carbonated drink offers. This year at the fair I slammed down two of these babies. I like to get one right when I arrive at the fair, and then another one as I leave. Knowing it will be another long year before I see the Lemon Shake-Up stand again. 


The Pulled Pork Sandwich
Most of you know that I was born in Indiana. In Indiana people take the hog farming business seriously. Hogs, Corn, and Soy Beans are a big industry in Indiana. So when you go to the Indiana State Fair and walk down the "fair food alley" you are hit in the face with a big sign that reads "PORK TENT". In the pork tent you will find all sorts of of treats featuring Indiana Hogs. My favorite is the Pulled Pork Sandwich. Now this sandwich did not originate in Indiana, it being a southern food, but Indiana Hogs go into making many of these sandwiches. The pork is slowly cooked and smothered in BBQ sauce. Its the centre of my fair food experiences. I loved this sandwich as a kid and I still love it just as much as an adult. 


The Smoked Turkey Leg


This is my husband Graham's favorite fair food. I first tried the large Smoked Turkey Leg at a renaissance fair in Boise Idaho. Then upon moving back to Indiana in 2000 I was pleased to see my old friend the Smoked Turkey Leg at the Indiana State Fair. My husband Graham, being an Australian was always a little overwhelmed at all the gut bursting choices in food at the Indiana State Fair; but before long I had him in line with the thongs of people who also shared a love of the Smoked Turkey Leg. It is huge in size sometimes larger then a child's head, its smokey, you can barely eat it all and after you have to take a short nap in the horse barn on a pile of wood chips but its worth every bit. And for the health conscious like my husband, its one of the more healthy choices at the fair. 


The Elephant Ear
Also known as a kind of deep fired dough this was my Grandpa Wolfla's favorite fair food, thus I remember many a fair sharing a huge Elephant Ear with him. This deep fried dough comes out as big as an elephant's ear and then is covered in cinnamon and sugar. It is delicate and moist and the sugar on top just adds to the already sweet flavor of the dough. This is also my Mom's favorite fair food, and one I hope to share with my kids someday. 


Corn On The Cob
Remember above I told you Hogs, Corn, and Soy Beans are big business in Indiana, well it would not be an Indiana State Fair without a few corn on the cob stands. This treat goes back to the start of fairs in the United States. Corn on the Cob has traveled far and wide, I even see Corn on the Cob stands at fairs in Australia. Although nothing shakes a stick at the quality of Indiana sweet corn. This fair food will remain a classic forever. Just remember to pack a tooth pick if you plan on enjoying this classic treat! 

Now if this blog does not make you hungry I don't know what does. 

What are waiting for! Its August call you friends and family or just get in the car and GO! Point yourself in the direction of the State Fair and eat something for me!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment